Now that Fall is here, it’s time to get busy doing anything and everything that will drive customers into your flower shop. What better way than by holding a DIY workshop? Workshops are all the rage these days: People love to gather with friends, co-workers, and family for a fun afternoon or evening, so why not have them come into your store and create something beautiful that they can take home? Offer snacks and holiday beverages, and make sure to share photos and video across social media.
Here’s an easy floral centerpiece idea that you can use for your workshop. Of course, make it your own, but this will give you a great head start.
Medium-sized fresh pumpkin•Knife•Clear plastic•Wet floral foam•Scissors or floral shears•Decorative ribbon•An assortment of fall-colored flowers such as Rio Sunflowers, Rio Red Hypericum, Rio Eucalyptus, Rio Yellow Craspedia, Rio Green Hydrangea
How to make a Thanksgiving Centerpiece
– Medium size fresh pumpkin – Knife – Clear Plastic – Wet floral foam – Scissors or floral shears – Decorative ribbon – An assortment of fall-colored flowers such a Rio Sunflowers, Rio Hypercurium, Rio Eucalyptus, Rio Yellow Craspedia, Rio Green Hydrangea.
1. Cut off the top of the pumpkin and scoop out the insides. You may want to do this in advance, as it takes time and can get a bit messy when you have a room full of people!
2. Cut the floral foam so that it easily fits inside the hollowed-out pumpkin. Cut a piece of clear plastic and place it over the opening of the pumpkin
3. Insert the foam into the pumpkin, making sure the plastic lines the inside. This will help retain moisture after watering the arrangement. Cut away any excess plastic at the opening
4. Cut the stems of the flowers to be just long enough to insert into the foam and align with the top of the pumpkin. Start by inserting the largest flowers, such as hydrangeas, to create the base of the arrangement.
5. Add the focal flower next (sunflowers are used here), then continue to add other flowers and filler to create a full, colorful effect.
6. Complete your arrangement by placing a decorative ribbon around the pumpkin and taping the ends together using double-sided tape.
Voila! A beautiful Fall arrangement that your customers will love creating and sharing with others. Remind them to water the arrangement regularly, as it can stay fresh for a week or more. This is just one of many ideas you can use for your Fall floral workshops. Get your creative ideas flowing, and you’ll soon see customers—and sales—flow back!