Millennials are the largest living generation, so it’s no wonder we’re all a little obsessed with marketing to them! But how do you tap into this enormous purchasing power—more than $200 billion annually? The trick is understanding what they care about and being able to offer it.
Millennials are constantly on their digital devices and are always looking for engaging content. They’re open to receiving ads and sharing them, but 45% of millennials don’t find content marketing compelling enough to share it!
Here are a few tips on reaching millennials with your marketing, engaging them, and getting them to buy—and share—your fabulous flowers.
- OFFER DISCOUNTS AND PERKS
The number one reason millennials don’t buy flowers is a perceived high price. There are many ways you can break through this price barrier and get your millennial customers shopping!
- Create a subscription service that offers them a discount and extra perks like free delivery each month.
- Send out an email with an in-store coupon, then once they’re in the store, sign them up for your loyalty program, which will give them further discounts.
- Offer a gift with purchase, particularly around floral holidays when you can create some fabulous, themed gifts.
- MAKE IT CONVENIENT
The second biggest reason Millennials don’t buy flowers is they view it as an inconvenience. Yet, there are so many ways you can offer them convenient purchasing options, particularly with the improvements in online shopping these days.
- Let your customers order online and pick up in-store. You can even offer drive-through pick-up if that’s feasible.
- When it comes to delivery, make sure you have flexible options to accommodate different working schedules. And set up text alerts for real-time tracking of floral deliveries.
- Set up a partnership with a local hotspot that millennials frequent and offer prepaid order pick-up there.
- PROVIDE A SEAMLESS CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE
Millennials consume content across multiple devices, so it’s vital to meet them where they live. When you create your marketing content, make sure you design it to be as seamless as possible.
- Create your marketing content to provide a single “conversation” with customers, whether they’re viewing it on a desktop or laptop computer, mobile phone, or tablet.
- Use IT tools that let your customers view items, order them, and leave comments or questions on any platform they choose—such as your website, social media pages, or via email.
- Analyze data from your followers and customers using social listening services. These enable you to shift gears as needed and do it rapidly.
- GET IN ON THE TRENDS
Millennials think of flowers as traditional, not trendy. Yet, the idea of something trending is everything to millennials. If you can make your floral offerings trendy, you’ve got a huge leg up on the competition.
- Self-care and healthy living are top trends for millennials, so promote the health benefits of flowers, both mental and physical, in all your marketing.
- Create a selfie wall in your store and offer discounts and perks when millennial customers take beautiful pictures and share them on social media.
- Team up with trendy spots in town, like craft breweries, wineries, or food halls. Provide flowers for tables with signage mentioning your shop.
- BE AUTHENTIC
When it comes to customer loyalty, nothing is more important to millennials than your authenticity. When you communicate in a natural, honest way, they’ll know it. And they’ll be drawn to your shop.
- Develop your brand story and keep it honest and straightforward. Then communicate it across social media and on your website.
- When you have a customer complaint, respond in a timely, helpful, honest way. Be transparent about what might have caused the issue and offer to make things right.
- Show your fun side on social media, with live videos that don’t look over-staged or thought-out. The more you can just “wing it,” the better!
- GIVE THEM CUSTOM PRODUCTS AND PERSONAL ATTENTION
Millennials crave personalized attention and custom products, including discounts and customized delivery. The more you can personalize their arrangement, the more they’ll appreciate it. And they’re far more likely to share a custom-created arrangement on social media!
- Announce a “Flower Happy Hour” in your shop, where customers can come in on a particular day for a specific hour and enjoy a discount on their blooms for that hour only.
- Create a “flower bar” at your store where customers can “curate” their own arrangement from a selection of flowers and greenery.
- Offer local add-ons to floral purchases, such as food, wine, or handmade cards, as well as unique vases and packaging options for their arrangements.
- TAP INTO THEIR FOMO
Millennials are all about being in the loop, so one of their biggest triggers is FOMO (fear of missing out). Tap into this by providing events, special deals, or activities that make them feel like they’re up on what’s happening locally.
- Offer hands-on experiences like a flower arranging workshop and partner with a popular food or drink hot spot to provide refreshments.
- Hold a flower arranging demo or “fill your vase” event at a local venue and announce it on your social media as well as in posts from the venue.
- Set up a space in your shop where customers can relax and hang out. Set up cozy chairs, floral art, local fair-trade coffee, and treats. The “cooler” it appears, the more they’ll share it on their Instagram and tag your shop!
Use these tips when marketing to millennials, and you’re sure to increase their engagement and loyalty—and your sales as a result!