One of the most significant moments in life is when loved ones come together to celebrate someone who has passed. Sympathy flowers are a powerful way to show love and support during such a vulnerable time. However, building a sympathy flower business can be a delicate balance. You can’t promote sympathy flowers with the same enthusiasm as you do for holidays and other events, yet you need to let people know you’re there for them at this time of loss.
Being a trusted source for sympathy flowers is not only helpful for your community, but it can also improve your overall revenue and enable you to continue growing other aspects of your floral business. Here are a few ideas to build your sympathy flower business that you can easily incorporate into your overall marketing efforts.
- Be available at a moment’s notice
If you plan to offer sympathy arrangements and services, make sure you can handle last-minute requests. Unlike holidays and planned events, death is often unexpected, and you must respond promptly to any request for sympathy flowers. Yes, the request may come at a time when you’re already busy, but turning away sympathy orders is not only unprofessional, but it can also influence how people view your other areas of service.
- Have a variety of flowers easily accessible
While you can certainly offer a standard variety of floral arrangements, it’s also important to cater to a family’s need for custom flowers. When someone wants to honor the life of a loved one, being able to provide flowers that reflect that person’s life is a huge benefit. Make sure you have an excellent relationship with your local wholesaler, so you can order any flowers you might need at any time.
- Connect with local funeral directors
It’s vital to build a good relationship with funeral directors in your area. Provide them with business cards as well as a printed guide to your sympathy services, showing plenty of photos of your work. Let them know that you’re available whenever needed. They will be happy to refer you to people needing sympathy flowers, especially if you provide consistently excellent service to their clients.
- Create relationships with senior groups and organizations
Senior Citizens (65 and over) are the fastest-growing segment of the population, and many seniors choose to make their funeral arrangements ahead of time. While you certainly don’t want to appear indelicate, it’s essential to develop relationships with local assisted living facilities, nursing homes, and organizations dedicated to helping seniors. You may wish to provide floral arrangements for the entrances to these facilities as well.
- Promote your sympathy flower services online
You are likely already promoting your floral services for weddings, holidays, and other special events. Why not put the same effort and creativity into promoting sympathy flowers? By running targeted social media campaigns, blogging about your sympathy business, and ensuring you have a clear message on your website, you can dramatically increase your revenue. It’s also important to ask for reviews from customers and place these on your Google My Business listing as well as your website and social media platforms.
- Provide options for sympathy flowers
In all your promotions, make sure you show a variety of sympathy flower offerings. Here are a few options to include on your website and in any printed guide:
- Casket Sprays: These are often large, diamond-shaped arrangements placed directly on top of a coffin. These are typically chosen either by the person arranging the funeral or the immediate family.
- Sprays and Sheaves: These are like a hand-tied bouquet but designed to lay flat. This makes it easy to place them next to a casket or at a graveside. They can also be placed on an easel at a memorial service.
- Wreaths: While the traditional wreath design is circular, symbolizing eternal love and devotion, they can also be created in unique shapes to convey a more personal message.
- Hearts and Cushions: Heart-shaped wreaths are often quite personal, chosen as tributes from close friends and relatives. Cushions denote peace and serenity and are also quite personal.
- Baskets and Posies: A funeral flower basket is an easy way to ensure that flowers can be easily transported and moved around. The basket and the posy (a round, dome-shaped design) are popular choices from younger children or distant relatives.
Flowers are a powerful way to express love and comfort at a time of great loss. With these tips, we hope you can increase your sympathy flower business and become a trusted resource in your area. Moreover, your reputation for quality and care at this difficult time will create excellent word of mouth, which will spill over into all other areas of your business.